My normal morning routine is to get the kids off to school, husband off to work, and sit down, check my blog, and all things web-related. Much to my surprise a few days ago, when I had a lovely comment from Kaela, at The Girl Who Blogs, saying she nominated me for a Liebster Award. I had three thoughts all at once:
“Some one reads my blog?” and,
“Wait, what is a Liebster Award?”
My limited, oh so limited, German vocabulary, left over from high school, tells me that “liebe” is German and has something to do with “love.” (I may have actually learned something…I’m sure Frau Knapp would be so proud). A quick search told me that the Liebster award “supposedly” started in Germany to give smaller bloggers recognition for their hard work.
How cool is that?
Other than the German root, there isn’t any specifics on how it was started, and the rules seem to change over time. In this instance, I need to do: List eleven random facts about myself, answer eleven questions given to me by The Girl Who Blogs, and nominate eleven small blogs (200-300 followers). Let’s get started!
Eleven random facts about Me:
1. I’m a Christian. Although I go to church, I don’t define myself by a religion or man-made rules.
2. I’m an only child. There are some days I’m glad, there are days that I wish I had siblings.
3. There are two things I don’t want near me: spiders & feet, especially hairy feet (spiders are always “big & hairy”). I don’t want to touch or look at them. Or think about them for that matter…yuck!
4. I love reading. If I find a book I like, I will read it more than once. My top re-read books: Gone With the Wind (3), To Kill a Mockingbird (4). I need to find more time to read. I really want to read The Shack again!
5. I crochet. My Granny taught me when I was little. She taught me how to sew also. I love doing both. It makes me feel close to her. She has been gone for quite a few years now and I miss her everyday.
6. The pointy end of my corn on the cob needs to point to the left when I’m eating it. I don’t know why, it just does.
7. I say “ba-tato” not “potato,” … thanks to my husband for pointing this out to me.
8. I’m an aunt to 36, great-aunt to 3, and a step-aunt to 3. I love them.
9. I am addicted to dry roasted peanuts and coffee. I consume them almost daily and in large quantities. Not at the same time though.
10. I have a degree in accounting which I needed to be a stay at home mom. Kidding. I actually do the books for our family business.
11. I enjoy genealogy. I think it’s very cool to learn where my family came from, the kind of lives they had and even what they looked like if possible.
Kaela‘s Eleven Questions:
1. What is your favorite book? I’d have to say two: Gone with the Wind and The Shack. Both amazing in different ways.
2. What is your dream job? Right now I have my dream job, staying home and raising my kids. Once they’re grown? I’d love to be able to find a way to earn money sewing or something else involving one of my hobbies. I really don’t want to have to work for someone else.
3. Who inspires you? My husband. He encourages me and makes me feel I can do anything. He is part of who I am and I love him.
4. If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be? BLESSED.
5. Cabin or beach house? Why? Cabin. Cabin to me means mountains. Mountains means snow. I love them both.
6. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Fly a plane. That would be awesome! I’d also love to learn to sing, but since I don’t have the voice, I would need magic for that one!
7. What does your name mean? Kimberly – (English) chief, ruler
8. What is your best memory? The day my husband proposed to me. Without that day, I wouldn’t have my husband and 4 beautiful children. It is the memory that created my life as it is today. (wedding, births are equally as memorable, but not possible without this day!)
9. What is one chore you absolutely hate doing? Cleaning showers/tubs. I would rather clean 10 toilets to one tub.
10. If you were immortal for a day, what would you do? Cliff jumping and deep-sea diving. I’d be terrified to do both otherwise. Deep water causes me anxiety and well cliff jumping is just dangerous 😉
11. Why do you write? I write because it’s just another form of talking and I love to talk. It gives me a means of sharing things I enjoy without cornering someone and torturing them with the details. People are free to read or not read my blog. I also journal which is another great outlet…..I’ve always enjoyed writing, but in school I didn’t feel we were encouraged to enjoy it. Now I can do it how and when I like. I am free to enjoy it!
My Liebster Nominees are:
The goal here is to list 11, but these are the blogs I follow that meet the criteria (from what I can tell) and are deserving of the award! If you can list 11 then please do!
6. Laura Huber
Eleven Questions for My Nominees:
1. If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would buy/do?
2. What is the first movie you saw in a theater?
3. What is your dream car?
4. How would your closest friend describe you?
5. What is your most cherished possession?
6. What does “happy” mean to you?
7. If you could pick it, what would be your last meal?
8. If you could meet anyone, past or present, who would you pick and why?
9. What is your favorite junk food?
10. What song have you listened to most often in the last few days?
11. If you were stranded on a remote island, what three things would you want with you (besides food & water)?
Wow that was fun! I encourage you to visit my nominees and enjoys the stories, tips and points-of-view they offer.
Thanks so much again Kaela for the nomination!! It’s always fun knowing that someone enjoys what you do!